Our Washington, D.C. office has an opportunity available for a Director of Government Affairs with the National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO). The NASCIO Headquarters is located in Lexington, KY and this position reports to the Executive Director. The Director of Government Affairs ensures that the state CIOs' views are represented in the shaping of federal policy. NASCIO policy positions, reflecting the state CIOs principles on priority issues, guide the association's activities to influence federal laws, regulations and directions of critical interest to the state information technology community. Primarily responsible for federal advocacy, partnerships with other associations, federal legislative tracking and issue analysis. Other key responsibilities include monitoring federal policy and regulatory proposals, verbal and written communication with members, policy makers and other stakeholders while working closely with the Executive Director and the Executive Committee to implement and manage all government affairs policies, programs, services and practices for the Association.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, develops, coordinates and administers policies, strategies or programs relating to all phases of federal affairs advocacy while serving as a liaison and resource between NASCIO, Congress, federal government agencies and strategic partner associations.
- Creates and cultivates alignment and development of relationships with U.S. federal government entities to assure issue understanding, state IT policy priorities, and mutually beneficial relationships that advance the state CIO positions and state IT policy agenda.
- Work with state and federal lawmakers on key issues, participating in the development of alliances to advocate key issues identified by NASCIO members and management, and developing and maintaining current knowledge of legislative and regulatory issues important to NASCIO’s membership.
- Develops strategic alliances and represents the association with partner organizations, coalitions and trade groups to support NASCIO’s policy positions and government affairs objectives.
- Preparing advocacy statements, position papers, calls to action, testimony, legislative review, reports, research briefs and a monthly newsletter article related to federal affairs and NASCIO advocacy activities.
- Regular communication and collaboration with other association staff including policy analysts, programs and member services.
- Committee staff support, meeting support and coordination, including prime responsibility for the association’s annual Washington D.C. Fly-In and strategic partner briefing.
- Represent NASCIO at conferences, panel sessions and on external committees and workgroups. The position will require moderate travel.
- Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of a detailed annual workplan, budget and performance management for the operation of NASCIO’s government affairs program.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision in a Washington, DC satellite office while meeting performance expectations and aggressive deadlines.
- The successful candidate must have a minimum of five years prior work experience in public policy/administration, government affairs/advocacy, information technology, law, economics or a related field.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline. Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent research, analytical, oral and written communication skills.
- An in-depth understanding of the legislative and regulatory processes with preferred work experience in Congress, a state legislature or at a federal or state agency, or similar experience.
- Familiarity with online research products such as Congressional Quarterly is a plus.
- This position also requires advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
We are proud to offer the following benefits which include but, are not limited to: Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, 401(k) in which you are 100% vested as of your date of hire, a generous amount of PTO, and Flexible Work Schedule.
Send cover letter including salary requirements, resume, references, and writing samples (testimony/reports/position papers) via e-mail to [email protected], attention Jennifer Taylor, Director of Human Resources.