AMR is a company focused on contributing to the community in meaningful, lasting ways. To that end, we dedicate significant company resources toward encouraging and enabling employees to volunteer their time, talents and resources:
- AMR's Community Involvement Task Force (comprised of company employees) plans quarterly fundraising initiatives and facilitates ongoing volunteer opportunities with local charities.
- AMR encourages employees to perform volunteer work, serve on nonprofit boards and engage in community stewardship. We make an effort to acknowledge and honor their individual and combined efforts during AMR company events and meetings.
- AMR executives lead by example. As a means of encouraging community involvement among employees, AMR owners John and Shirley Ruffin donate annually in cash and company services to nonprofit organizations throughout the community and region.
Some examples of AMR Management Services and our employees' volunteer activities include:
- American Diabetes Association — Throughout the spring 2011 and culminating at the "Step Out for Diabetes" event in June, AMR employees engaged in a series of creative and fun initiatives to benefit the American Diabetes Association. Employees, their families and friends made donations to participate in delicious employee-made breakfasts, lunches and treats. Other activities to raise money included “Flip Flop Fridays,” casual attire days, and an auction of fun and funky donated items. In total, the AMR team raised $2,760 for the ADA.
- God's Pantry – In February 2011, AMR and its employees donated 98 pounds of food and $145 in cash to God's Pantry, a charitable organization that collects and distributes donated food to needy families and individuals across central and eastern Kentucky.
- Toys for Tots and Salvation Army Angel Tree – AMR and its employees have an ongoing commitment to the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program, which collects toys for needy children. AMR employees have donated hundreds of toys over the years. This past holiday season, AMR employees also selected children from the Salvation Army Angel Tree and provided holiday gifts to children in need.
- March of Dimes – AMR and its employees raised more than $2,500 for the 2010 March of Dimes campaign, as part of our multi-year commitment to the March of Dimes. Our total contribution over the years exceeds $23,000. The AMR staff has raised funds for the March of Dimes through an internal company-wide auction, the purchase of casual attire days and employee participation in the Walk for Babies.
- Hope Center – AMR and its employees collect travel-size toiletries for the Hope Center, a local homeless shelter, on an ongoing basis.
- Ronald McDonald House – AMR and its employees have collected tabs from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald house, which provides a “home away from home” for families of seriously ill children undergoing treatment in the area.
- Shop with a Cop – AMR has made cash donations to the Lexington Police Shop with a Cop Program, the Special Olympics, the Children’s Wish Foundation, UK Children’s Hospital and the Kentucky Horse Park Foundation.
- Recycling – AMR employees have an ongoing recycling program in AMR’s workspace within the Chase Building in downtown Lexington.
- Youth Activities – AMR has sponsored youth activities and programs, including the Lafayette High School Band and a Southwest Lexington PONY youth baseball team.